Mónica María Grand Marín
Chief of the Direction of Mining Formalization
Geologist graduated from the Universidad de Caldas, with a Specialization in Project Management granted by the Universidad Piloto de Colombia.
She has over twenty years of professional experience as a member of directive teams in the mining and industrial sectors. She has also performed as consultant in the area of sustainable development as well as in processes of mining formalization.
She worked for more than fifteen years in the cement industry holding the positions of Director of Geology and Mining Planning with Cementos Paz del Río, and as Manager of Raw Materials and Environmental Issues with Cementos Tequendama.
Her last position before assuming the Direction of Mining Formalization was that of Manager for the Sustainable Development Area at London Mining (Colombia.)
Duties Article 18. Article 13. Office of the Director of Mining Formalization: The duties for the Office of the Director of Mining Formalization are:
1. Preparing and proposing guidelines to the Vice-Minister of Mines on the formulation and development of the national mining formalization policy.
2. Drafting the plans, programs and projects for undertaking mining formalization, according to the national development plans and the policy of the National Government.
3. Advising the Minister and Vice-Minister of Mines during the coordination and implementation of the National Mining Development Plan as part of its mining formalization component.
4. Supervising the Strategic Sector Plan, the Operational Plan and sector indexes as well as evaluating results.
5. Preparing, proposing and presenting initiatives to the Vice-Minister of Mines that support the formulation and development of promotion, association, cooperation and company formalization polices.
6. Drafting technical regulations on the exploration, extraction, refining, transformation and transportation of minerals related to mining formalization.
7. Identifying the issues involved in projects related to mining formalization with government entities on the national and regional levels.
8. Coordinating with different ministries and government entities in order to solve the issues related to mining formalization projects.
9. Coordinating the necessary actions for formalizing mining activities in terms of logistics and mineral transportation infrastructure as well as port capacity together the entities of the executive branch on both the national and regional scales.
10. Designing and promoting guidelines for formulating and developing a policy for the safety of the projects related to mining formalization together with the Defense sector.
11. Designing and proposing mechanisms to the Vice-Minister of Mines for signing agreements with public and private entities, national or foreign, in order to carry out activities related to mining formalization as well as its supervision. 12. Designing and promoting guidelines for formulating programs and policies for legalizing and developing traditional mining activities.
13. Advising the Minister and Vice-Minister of Mines on the formulation and implementation of policies and strategies for distinguishing between informal mining and illegal mining activities.
14. Coordinating actions with executive branch entities for controlling the illegal extraction of minerals.
15. Coordinating with the Ministry of National Education, SENA and universities to carry out job training and education programs for small-scale miners.
16. Preparing and presenting resources to the Vice-Minister of Mines in order to support the formulation of policies and actions regarding mining safety and hygiene for the formal miners.
17. Proposing the establishment of special reserve areas for traditional mining as well as traditional extraction areas consistent with the provisions of articles 31 and 257 from Law 685 of 2001 or the regulations that have modified or replaced the same (modified by the Decree 1617 of 2013)
18. Any other assigned duties.